My thoughts, let me show you them. Feel free to skip on by if you're not interested.
Okay! So you all have probably heard anti Snape or anti Lily stuff flying around, if you’re in HP fandom. Some Snape supporters place all the blame on Lily. Some Lily supporters place all the blame on Snape. Here’s what I think:
Unfair accusations against Severus Snape:
- That he was a stalker because he looked at Lily greedily. Seriously, WTF? He’s just a little kid! Maybe he was looking at her like that, because he was excited to meet a kid his age who could perform magic?
- That he never changed or redeemed himself. He went from someone who was a Death Eater to a spy for the Order. He used to be someone who threw around the word Mudblood. In DH, he ended up saying, “Do not use that word!” when Phineas Nigellus called Hermione a Mudblood.
- That he only cared about Lily’s wellbeing, and nobody else’s. He starts out like this. But he changes. This is the guy who gripped his chair when Ginny Weasley was dragged into the Chamber of Secrets. He gave Ginny and her friends detention with Hagrid in DH as a measure to protect them. He protects Harry and the trio in PoA. He risks life and limb to protect Draco in HBP. He comforts Narcissa when she’s crying in the 1st chapter of HBP.
Unfair accusations against Lily Evans
- That she never cared for Severus. I think she *did* care for him a lot initially, when she was little. She left the train compartment with Severus when Sirius and James were being bullying arses. She smiled sadly at him when they were sorted into different Houses. The smile could be interpreted to mean she’s trying to put on a brave face at being separated from Severus.
- That she was a social climber. Seriously, WTF? She might have married James because she loved him. We’ve got no concrete evidence that she was a social climber.
- That she was only using Snape. Again, we’ve got no concrete proof of this.
- That she didn’t care about him when they were 15 years old. She cared about him enough to defend him when James was bullying him. She didn’t always care about him enough, though (when she dismissed Severus’ being upset over the marauders’ bullying. More on that later).